Monday, December 15, 2014

Nie Moj Cyrk Nie Moje Malpy....OR.... Not My Circus Not My Monkies

An old Polish Proverb which means Not My Problem.  My Civvie honey speaks Polish very well, it's part of his ethnic heritage and he's said that phrase to me, more often than I care to remember.   When this whole champs vs BRATS came to my attention several months ago, I had no doubt that I had to speak up and have my say, after all this was MY circus and I am the monkey.  
Not for nothing, but brat is the Polish word for brother.  It's also a German sausage. (Different pronunciations our BRATS though) 

Anyway, I researched on my own, and what I found I didn't truly agree with.  The concept on the surface sounded great: 
1)  Bringing awareness to the civilian communities where BRATS lived and trying to bridge a gap between them.
2) Offering free babysitting to military families.
My conclusion:  This is awesome!

The underlying things that I found and took issue with were:
1) Their target audience wasn't civilian kids at all.  They took their show on the road and to the air via the U.S.O to places like Okinawa, Korea, Germany and Italy.  *I have attended schools in 2 of those four countries and had never encountered a single civilian from America who was not in some way connected to the Military.*  

1:A) One of the civilian schools they did visit stateside was Manor View Elementary.  M/V while being part of the Anne Arundel Public District in Maryland, is situation on a Military Installation: Ft. Meade.  Currently Ft. Meade is host to 4 elementary schools, 2 middle schools and 1 high school.  All of which are under the A.A. County school district.  I went to 1 Elementary, 1 (then) Jr. High and the Senior High school on Ft. Meade.  BRATS and Civvies interacted, learned and played together without issue every day during the school year.  Civvies KNEW they went to school on Post, they KNEW their classmates were BRATS and that we were connected in some capacity to the Military.  They didn't care one way or another, but they all KNEW.   (This choice of school was either a calculated soft sell or a token effort, because these kids know who and what they are)

MY conclusion:   After seeing how they were "bridging the gap," by labeling current generation of BRATS to champs *Child Heroes Attached to Military Personnel* , I took issue with being told that we BRATS are offensive, we BRATS had no place in todays Military families, we BRATS needed to be Politically Correct in order to be acceptable human beings and Americans.
*Part of Op Champs thing was to reinforce the idea that BRATS living overseas were just as American as our civvie counterparts, like we are too stupid to know that already*

My result:  I did something adult BRATS have learned to do; I spoke up and posted comments, facts and questions on their facebook page.  Hundreds of BRATS did the same, we were all met with the same response:  We were ignored by OpChamps. Ignored and then our comments were hid and some were blocked from even commenting.  I guess they didn't think they'd have to deal with us and we'd go away.  They were wrong, they forgot that this is OUR circus, they had no right to shame and then rename BRATS of all ages and we, individually spoke out louder.  We are after all, Americans and when we feel wronged, Americans speak out and push back.  Some contacted the sponsors of their operation, letters and emails were written, phone calls were made and media outlets were contacted.  Slowly but surely we American Military BRATS were heard and sponsors started backing away from them after being presented with facts and then doing their own research.

2) Addressing the babysitting portion of their non-profit group:  This is still an awesome contribution to our Military families, but it is not the be all to end all program.  There are many programs through Family Readiness and other organizations on and around Posts and Bases, some families are even eligible for childcare grants to offset any out of pocket expenses. 

OPCHAMPS Conclusion and Result:  They opted to fold up the babysitting offered to families in their limited area.  Rather than address issues that BRATS had with their renaming us all, they continued to ignore and then finally hurt the families they claimed to help.

MY conclusion:  It wasn't and isn't about bridging gaps or helping BRATS at all.  I'm not sure what they were and are doing other than stroking their own egos and patting themselves on the back all while saying "look at me, I'm helping the poor misguided BRATS...Look at all the good I'm doing for these dysfunctional people"  Announcing that they were closing program could have been done out of spite and misdirect attention from themselves and put it onto the BRATS who were and are questioning their tactics and motives, who knows for sure why people hurt and cause further confusion to the ones they claim to help?? 

*****Let us not forget that on the 10 Dec 2014 Operation Champs announced they'd be discontinuing their babysitting program, it took them a couple of days to getting around to disabling the DONATE button on their webpage but eventually it was disabled.  However, being the type of BRAT that I am, I checked periodically and yesterday at 1412 hundred hours, I discovered that the  button was fully operational again, and they had kept their suggested donation amount at $100.00.  Does this sound a little fishy to you?  It does to me and I have a sneaking suspicion that another webpage update will be forthcoming announcing that due to the popularity of their babysitting program and public outcries of support, they have decided to  reinstate their former commitment to the Champs and their Military families. They will also paint the thousands of BRATS who stood up and spoke out against them. After all doesn't every HERO need a VILLAIN??  *****


BRAVO! Yes, BRAVO SIERRA Op Champs.  That is Military Speak for *Bull Sh!t* which by the way, I still call.  You want to help? Then help, but don't try to rename, rebrand, trademark and humiliate and entire group of our population, especially our children! 
Why not just start your own circus and leave mine alone!     

No comments:

Post a Comment